Welcome to Captain Sir Tom Moore Class!
This year, our class is named after the nation’s hero, Captain Sir Tom Moore. We are all equally thrilled to be learning about such an inspirational person that represents how our country has pulled together in the face of uncertainty to offer reassurance and hope; all of which echo the fundamental characteristics of our learner attributes. We will spend time thoughtfully studying why Captain Sir Tom Moore felt compelled to make a change through a global pandemic, his previous army career that could potentially explain his choices and most importantly, how has he inspired others to have an active voice to change the world for the better.
It has been a very long time since we have all been together, so unsurprisingly we are brimming with excitement to see the children return to our classrooms again and to continue our learning journey together as a Year 5 team. This term we will be inquiring about the following:
- Maths: Place value and number.
- PYP: Human geography – migration and movement, population, geographical locations and discovery. These inquiries will also cover a range of other wider curriculum areas such as history and art.
- PE: Athletics
What can you do at home to support your child?
- Homework: Children will be given a homework menu for them to then take an activity from each week. We really appreciate if you could support your child as best as possible. Children will find the menu in the Google Classroom and you can then share their work once it is completed.
- Reading: We would encourage the children to read for at least 20 minutes a day. This can be a mixture of their school reading book, texts on myON and books/comics that they already have at home. Once your child has read please record this in their reading log so that we can celebrate this with them.
- Times tables: Times tables are a fantastic way to support the children with maths. Please encourage your child to practise these regularly on Times Tables Rock Stars or with someone at home.
- PE is on a Friday, so please ensure that your child comes to school in their PE kit.
School Council representatives from Year 5 sharing their learning from this term…