Welcome to Julia Donaldson Class !
Julia Donaldson has written some of the world’s best loved children’s books including The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo’s Child, Stickman, Monkey Puzzle, Night Monkey Day Monkey and Tiddler. Over the year we will be immersing our learning in a variety of her fiction and non-fiction texts.
Our theme for this term will be based around ‘Who we are’. We can use this to help us get to know each other over the first terms. Our focus will be on human relationships, including families, friends, communities and cultures.
Our central idea is: ‘Relationships promote a sense of belonging.
What can you do at home to help?
- Tapestry App: through Tapestry, you will have the opportunity to view your child’s learning at school. We would really love parents to also upload observations from home, so that we can have a holistic approach towards your child’s learning journey.
- Homework: Children will be given a homework menu with a selection of challenges to have a go at. It would be wonderful if you can support the children with this and share their work once complete on Tapestry.
- Reading: We would encourage the children to read for at least 5 to 10 minutes a day. This can be a mixture of their school reading book and books/comics that they already have at home. Once your child has read please record this in their reading log so that we can celebrate this with them. We will change books on a Monday and Friday.
- PE will be taught on a Wednesday. Please make sure your child comes into school in their PE kit.
- Full time Nursery and Reception children will be in full time from Monday 14th September.
We look forward to working with you and your child over this academic year.
Mrs Butler, Mrs Sherman, Mrs Goldsack and Miss Lindsay.
Family Learning on ‘Who We Are’
This term we will be continuing our learning on ‘Who we are’. Below is a list of family learning options for this term. Please talk to your child to decide which activity you would like to do together each week. Parents/carers are welcome to scribe for children and share what you have learnt about together, and it would be lovely to see children’s learning through making models, drawings, scribed quotes or some writing. Family learning should be completed and uploaded onto an observation in Tapestry once a week, which we will share in class with your child.
Who are your friends in school? at home? What do you enjoy doing together? Have you got any photographs (pre lockdown) of them spending time together.
Can you make a model of your home? Do you know what house number you live at?
Can you take a photograph of you standing by your front door?
What places do you and your family like to visit? You could add a map, photos or information.
Can you draw a picture of your family? Can you label your picture?
Can you list things that you do not like? Can you add pictures? You could draw or stick in pictures.
Do you have any celebrations that you would like to share with your family. Have you got photographs that you would like to share with us? You could draw or paint a picture.
Share a favourite story at home. Can you copy the title? Draw some of the characters and explain what you like about the book.
Can you write your name? Practise writing it and find out other things that start with the same letter. Draw pictures of them and label, such as S for Sarah – seahorse, sausage and sun!
Choose anything you’d like to do relating to the topic ‘Who we are.’
Inside your child’s reading book you will find some leaves. Please could you write on these leaves when your child has achieved something special at home which you are proud of. We will share the children’s achievements from home and display their special leaves on our Talking Thinking Tree which is in our classroom. Thank you.
Any questions, please speak to a member of the EYFS Team. Thank you.
On a Monday the children will be given a new school reading book to share at home with you over the week. On a Friday the school reading books will be collected so that we comply with our Academy Covid guidelines. Your child will then be given a new book to share with your child on a Monday.
Please could the children come to school on a Wednesday wearing their school PE kit.
Please could you ensure that all of your child’s clothing is labelled.